When you go to the doctor, you don't just tell him,"I'm sick" and then get a pill. No! The doctor would ask you your symptoms and have a conversation with you to insure he gives you what you need to make you better.
Look at shopping for home insurance the same way. Don't just say, "I need home insurance" and hope you get what you need. Talk to a local professional who can help design a policy that works best for you. Discuss what you want your policy to do in the event of a claim. Home insurance shouldn't be a "one size fits most". Your home is your biggest investment. Ask these questions to get the conversation started when shopping for home insurance.
Top 8 Questions to Ask:
1) Is there a separate higher deductible for wind/hail?
2) Is the roof covered at replacement cost or will it depreciate over time?
3) Will my personal belongings like my TV, PC, furniture be covered at replacement cost?
4) Is there extended replacement cost for my home? (in case of a catastrophe... like a tornado)
5) Is there water/sewer back up coverage?
6) How much liability is included?
7) Is there earthquake coverage and does it cover both natural and "man-made" quakes?
8) When I have a claim and need help, is there a local agent to speak with or an 800 number?